This summer, I’ve been craving flowy, breezy, and roomy (but not oversized). Pretty classic for summer heat and humidity. I found this coral gauze in the remnant section at Vogue Fabrics for ~$6, and thought it perfect for something. After some thinking and searching, I decided to give the Southport Dress by Kelli of True Bias a go. The pattern comes in two lengths–several inches above the knee and maxi. I originally started making a maxi length, but then I got a little lazy with my iron and burned a hole in the fabric (a first for me!) right below knee-length. I had already been toying with the idea of shortening it, as a maxi length seemed very heavy for such a light fabric. Fate spoke! I chopped it off right above the singed area and deepened the front slit a couple of inches, which made it hit right at knee-length. I also sewed in snaps instead of buttons/buttonholes. I just liked the seamless look!Overall, I really like this pattern. I went in calling this a wearable muslin, and that’s exactly what it is. It’s been great to wear in the hot+humid weather this summer!
For next time, I will deepen the armscyes and raise the neckline by at least 1.5″. I fall into a size 4 on the size chart, but after looking at the finished garment measurements, I decided I wanted less ease and went for size 0. (My bust would actually be a size 2, so I would recommend choosing a size based on your bust as there is significant ease in the waist and hips.) The amount of ease I ended up with was perfect, so I’m glad I did that! I think my armscyes are a touch too small (though that is most definitely a result of me sizing down), so next time I will grade those up. The neckline falls open very easily when bending over (and I’m a mom, so I do this 50% of my day), so raising it is going to be necessary.
I really want to sew it up in some rayon now! Or basic black maxi–such a pretty silhouette.
I’ll leave you with my photoshoot partner in crime, her many expressions, and our matching piggies. (Wearing a yellow linen geranium dress!)