Welcome back! We are SO CLOSE! This is the final installment of the Chi-Town Chinos Sewalong, my friends. Today we just need to finish the hem, complete the bar tacks (which also secures the belt loops), and add the waistband closure. Let’s get to it!
Arrange the five belt loop pieces where you want them and pin in place on pants. Open one folded end and stitch to the top of the waistband. I like to place them at center back, 1-2” outside of front pockets, then centered between side seams and darts, but this is completely up to you.
Set your machine to the zigzag width and length you decided on for bar tacks. We will secure the belt loops and pockets now. Place bar tacks at the following places:
- top outside corners of back pockets,
- top outside corners of pocket flaps,
- top and bottom of slash pockets,
- tops and bottoms of belt loops.
If you need a refresher on bar tacks, view a full photo tutorial here.
Let’s move onto the hem; press bottom edge under 1/4”, then another 1”. Topstitch at 7/8” from bottom hem, catching the edge of folded hem inside.
Sew on hook-and-bar OR button and buttonhole for front top closure.
If you added pocket flaps, sew buttons onto back pockets.
THAT’S IT! We’re done!!!
I hope that you feel extremely proud of yourself (because I am proud of you). I also hope you feel that, with enough tenacity and willingness to learn, you can tackle anything you want to sew (because I believe you can).
Feel free to e-mail me at hello[at]alinadesignco[dot]com if you ever have any questions about sewing or this pattern (or others I release in the future). I’m still learning, too, but I’ll absolutely help you to the best of my ability–and I would say I’m not an expert at sewing, but I AM an expert at my own pattern(s). 😉
Happy sewing, my friends! Go wear those chinos proudly!!!
Below you will find the list of links to each blog post in the sewalong. If you have any questions, absolutely feel free to e-mail me.
- Introducing the Chi-Town Chinos Sewing Pattern
- Introducing the Chi-Town Chinos Expansion Packs
- Chi-Town Chinos Tester Round-Up
- Chi-Town Chinos Expansion Pack Tester Round-Up
- Part 1 : Inspiration
- Part 2 : Supplies
- Part 3 : Customizing the Pattern
- Part 4 : Fitting + Finishing
- Part 5 : Prepwork
- Part 6 : Front Pockets
- Part 7 : Fly Front
- Part 8 : Back Assembly + Final Fitting
- Part 8.5 : Welt Pockets
- Part 9 : Waistband, Center Back Seam, Inseam, Side Seams
- Part 10 : Belt Loops, Bar Tacks, Hemming, Front Closure