As requested, here is the recipe for a black bean and quinoa salad that I got from a friend of a friend. Her name is Elizabeth Rider and you can read her blog, Whole Eating Blog, here. Enjoy!
Black Bean & Quinoa Salad
Prep Time: 15 min
Total Time: 20 min
Ingredients for the dressing:
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tbsp Agave Nectar (or Honey, but I prefer Agave as it’s low-glycemic)
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- 1 Clove Pressed Garlic
Ingredients for the Salad:
- 3/4 Cup Dry Quinoa
- 1 Can Whole Black Beans
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1 Handful Cilantro
- 1 Bunch Green Onion (about 7-9 onions)
- Combine all dressing ingredients in bowl and set aside to allow the garlic to diffuse.
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions. (With whole grains in general, double the amount of water for the amount of grains you are cooking, combine water and grains in a pot, bring to a boil, then simmer until the water is cooked into the grains. In this case, 1.5 cups of water and 3/4 cup quinoa should take about 15-20 minutes to cook. Careful to not let it burn!)
- While the quinoa is cooking, chop the red bell pepper and green onion into small pieces.
- Drain and rinse the black beans. Make sure to give them a good run under the water and drain out completely.
- Give the cilantro a medium chop.
- Combine all ingredients and dressing and fold together. Salt and black pepper to taste. (Can be served warm or chilled, and keeps in the refrigerator for 2-3 days.)